The Virtual Corkscrew Museum's Daily Newspaper
Wednesday, January 21, 2004
Hill, New Hampshire - The above drawing is the only drawing in Frank R. Woodward's August 24, 1875 United States Patent Number 166,954. His invention was a "Rotary Paper Cutter" and there is no mention of a corkscrew or other tools that the cutter was combined with in production.
Here is how the combination tool (including corkscrew) appeared in a January 15, 1934 Red Devil catalog:
In the catalog is a the story "The Organization behind the Red Devil products." From this we learn:
The first steel glass cutters were produced at the RED DEVIL plant of Hill, N. H. by the late F. R. Woodward, inventor.
Like many other important inventions, the idea was almost too revolutionary for immediate acceptance by the trade and Mr. Woodward accordingly joined forces with the Smith and Hemenway Co. owners of the RED DEVIL trademark who contributed the marketing facilities with the engineering for development of the tool.
From this beginning "RED DEVIL" has been The Standard for Steel Wheel Glass Cutters throughout the world.
In 1926 Mr. Landon P. Smith, one of the founders and President of the Smith Hemenway Co. succeeded to the glass cutter business of that firm. Soon afterward, his new company, Landon P. Smith, Inc., merged with the Woodward Glass Cutter Co. of Hill, N. H. and continued to develop the RED DEVIL glass cutter business.
In 1929 purchased Master Manufacturing Company to add a line of paint hooks and related products. 1932 brought the acquisition of Vosco Tool's wood scraper business. And in 1933 the company began production of law sprinklers.
The 1934 catalog contained thirty-six pages of Red Devil products.
The 1934 catalog included a 1928 Harding Patent bottle opener and corkscrew.
We do not think these red devils were related to the Red Devil advertising campaigns:
©2004 Don Bull, Editor