|A bulldog is short-haired dog of a breed with
a large head It has square, strong jaws and a stocky body. It is known to be a
stubborn dog. Could one ask for better such qualities in a corkscrew? Here are
some "bulldog" corkscrews:
- The Sterling Bulldog at top left serves double duty as a corkscrew and cork
stopper. He was made by the R. Blackinton & Co., of Attleboro,
Massachusetts and sports their logo.
- Armed Bulldog is marked REGD NO 844318 which is an English Registered
Design of 1945.
- Brass two finger pull with hanging hole says BULLDOG on the platform the
bull stands on.
- The cast Bulldog on the right is unmarked.
- Carved tusk Bulldog has a silver collar.
- On the lower left is a cigar shaped
The "cigar" holds the worm which turns perpendicular to the case when
opened. The case is screwed back together and serves as the handle. The
"cigar band" around the center has a Bulldog on it.
- Note that the Bulldog at lower center is the only Bulldog with the tail
serving as the corkscrew.
- The Bulldog at lower right was made in the 1940's by the Syracuse
Ornamental Company (SYROCO) of Syracuse, New York.
TOUR: The Virtual
©1997 Donald A. Bull